Swollen Hock

Need help with your horse's injury or acute condition? Post questions and case studies here.

Swollen Hock

Postby srios » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:02 pm

Hi Group,
Yesterday, right before picking up my three year old filly to come home from training, another horse kicked her, (we think) and her right hock is swollen. There are no obvious marks or broken skin. She was very lame yesterday, (no swelling), and today she continues to be very lame and has swelling. I have given her two doses of Arnica with a third this eveing, and plan to continue that for a few days. Also, have her on CT enzymes and Spectrabiotic, six each, two times a day. Any suggestions? Do I need to keep her confined to a stall? Right now, she's in an area where she can move around freely.
Thanks,
Susan R.
srios

Postby emckenna » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:31 pm

hello susan,

what potency is the arnica?

will she tolerate cold water therapy? if so you can run cool water over her hock a few times a day or if she'll stand quietly you could make an ice bag/wrap.

if the skin isn't broken you can also use arnica creme or gel. when i've had injuries i increase one or more of my CT prods to 20+ a day for a few days until i notice improvement. of the two products you mention i suggest increasing the enzymes.

rescue remedy is always a good approach too - especially if you aren't sure of the trauma source.

you are sure it's not a snake bite, right?

elinda
emckenna

Postby mward » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:30 pm

Susan,
as long as your mare can bear full weight on her leg and she will not be forced to move by other horses, I think you are best to leave her where she can move around. Madalyn
mward

swollen hock

Postby srios » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:28 pm

Hi Group,
Thanks for the reply, Madalyn and Elinda. The arnica is 1M. I also have CT Essentials and CT Grape Synergy that I could provide her. She now does not want to put her foot down and hops on three legs when she wants to move. She is also acting colicky and would not eat her dinner. She had hay in her mane indicating that she had rolled or had been lying down... maybe she hurt it further getting up??? I'm keeping an eye on her. I also gave her some Rescue Remedy at dinner and will give another dose before going to bed.
Thanks,
Susan
srios

Postby mward » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:16 am

susan
when I last spoke with you over the phone thurs morning you said your mare was doing better. How is she doing now? Madalyn
mward

hock update

Postby srios » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:04 pm

Hi Group,
Since my last post, things have changed in regard to treatment of the hock injury the first of November. She was not responding to the Arnica and would not bear any weight on the injured leg so I had my local vet out to take a look and he recommended xrays and started her on antibiotics. That same day, I took her to an equine clinic; they took xrays and found nothing wrong with the leg, no fractures etc.. However, they thought that she had probably had a puncture wound (rather than being kicked as assumed), which in turn had become infected. She stayed at the clinic for 10 days, receiving bute, antibiotics and having her leg wrapped. They also lanced the inside of her hock to accomodate better drainage of the infection they said.
So now she's at home and I'm doing hydrotherapy (every other day), continuing the antibiotics for two more weeks, and keeping the leg wrapped for two more weeks. The vets don't think the infection is in the joint.

What I learned: DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING! I ignored basic things like taking her temperature because I was so sure she had been kicked. I also ignored the fact that the Arnica had not helped within a day or two. Thus the time delay in treating her lameness effectively. I also learned that hocks are a "different critter" as expressed by the local vet.

Questions: Madalyn, I have received the Draw solution you sent. I mixed it 50/50 and sprayed it on her scratches and then sprayed down into the wrapping. On the lanced area, I put Nitrofurazone ointment that Elgin gave me. What would you do differently?

Also, I have been giving her 6 or 7 Spectrabiotic twice a day because that's what I have on hand.
I also have Essentials and CoQ10 available. Next week the Animal Matrix should arrive. What supplements to help the healing would be ideal?

She's still lame, but moves around freely bearing full weight. I have her in an area where she can graze and get all the exercise she wants during the day. At night I keep her stalled. Does this sound like a good plan?

She is not eating her hay at night and doesn't continually graze during the day like she normally would. I'm giving her a pound and a half of Purina equine senior with a couple hand fulls of wheat bran ( a sloppy mash), twice a day which she eats with no problems. She lost weight at the clinic and looks a little too thin, and isn't as interested in food as she usually is. Does this seem like an area of concern? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Susan R.
srios

Irritated Stomach

Postby lworthington » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:33 am

Susan,

I would suggest that perhaps your mare's stomach is now irritated from all the stress, antibiotics, etc. Why don't you add some slippery elm powder (can buy in health food stores, or in capsules and take apart) and aloe vera juice (pure) to each feeding and see if she becomes more comfortable enough to eat her hay normally. I just had to do this with my warmblood, though his problem was from nothing specific, and he responded immediately and went back to normal eating--in fact hungrier than ever. Per Madalyn, I'm using 1 T. slippery elm powder and 2 oz. Aloe per feeding and I make him a mash each feeding too, with bran, beet pulp, Senior, and a little rice bran powder. He's slurping it up and eating tons of hay too. Just a thought.

Leta
lworthington

swollen hock

Postby srios » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:06 am

Thanks for your reply, Leta,
This morning I went out to see that she now has diahhrea... I'm getting more concerned. I know that antibiotics, stress, etc. can cause this, but, with the infection and her loosing so much weight, I've got a concerned mind. She has dropped off on the top line and the hind quarters quickly.
I will find some slippery elm and aloe to keep on hand. I've got a call in to the vet in Elgin and to Madalyn.
Keep your fingers crossed for her, please.
Susan R.
srios

Postby mward » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:32 pm

I now have this filly at my clinic where I can keep a close eye on her. I stopped the trim sulfa since she developed the diarrhea. I have her on the homeopathic remedy Pulsitilla to help with her infection. her hock is very swollen but she is bearing weight on it. she is eating her senior slowly and her alfalfa but not much coastal. Her attitude is good. She has a low grade fever which I feel has more to do with the inflammation.
I am leaving her bandage off overnight and keeping a mixture of 50/50 draw mixed half and half with noni juice. I have found this mix to be really good for swelling and soreness. I am giving her 1 oz aloe, 1 oz noni juice and 5 acidophilus twice a day directly in her mouth until she starts eating better. I am putting succeed granules in her food also to help her digestion. I also did a bowen treatment on her when she first came in. she was very body sore. After 24 hrs she still has diarrhea but it is no worse and maybe a little better. Madalyn
mward

Postby mward » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:02 pm

Maya is doing well. She has been using her leg a little more each day but is still very lame. there has been no return of the infection in her hock since coming off antibiotics. I continued with the pulsatilla through Thurs. but it did not seem to be having any effect on her diarrhea. Maya was also beginning to object to having the hock touched which was a change from the first few days. She was eating better but still not as well as I would have liked considering how much weight she had lost in the past week.

I reworked her case putting more emphasis on the loose manure which was pasty with a sour smell. I also used injuries with extravasions and sensitivity to touch. Arnica was the only remedy with all symptoms so I gave her 1 dose of a 10m potency on friday evening. Saturday morning she was about the same. Sat. evening she had slight form to her manure and sat.morning her manure was completely normal and she was eating very well. Her hock is still very swollen but she is using her leg well. I am continuing the draw and noni topically. She is still getting acidophilus, Succeed and CT horse matrix daily in her food. Madalyn
mward

Postby mward » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:55 pm

Maya is eating well and felt good enough today to run around in her stall bucking. I gave her another dose of Arnica 10m yesterday as her hock is still quite sore and swollen.

I believe she had a trauma with bleeding into the joint and surrounding tissues. she does not have much heat to suggest an infection at this time. blood stagnation from bruising can be almost as painful as a broken bone and can take a long time to heal. I put a bandage on her lower leg as some of the swelling is moving down her leg. I can relate to this. after Jake fell on me this last spring and bruised my thigh very badly, my ankles were swollen for months.

I am not too concerned about the swelling at this time as Maya is overall so much better. It is also possible she is just now really beginning to heal after having so much stress right after the injury. Susan is going to leave her at the clinic a few more days. Madalyn
mward

Maya

Postby lworthington » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:29 pm

This is such great news about Maya! And just another accolade for a well thought out natural approach (combined with whatever traditional therapies necessary). I know Maya's not out of the woods, but I just had to congratulate you, Susan, for choosing to go this route, and you, Madalyn, as always, for your great successes.

Leta
lworthington

Maya

Postby srios » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:09 pm

Thanks Leta,
I would have preferred that Maya be cared for holistically from the very beginning. It just took me a while to finally wind up there. Madalyn is doing a great service for Maya and for me, as well. It seems to be a much kinder and more fruitful approach to treatment. That's been my experience for sure.
Susan
srios

Postby mward » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:38 pm

Maya has turned out to be a very challenging case. she gave me a scare wed morning when I came to feed and she would not get up. what happened is she laid down for the first time and her hock was too sore for her to use it to get up. she did not have any fever and when I supported her with the halter rope she got up easily and moved the same as she had been.

I also had to help her up this morning but once up she is energetic and walking a little better. the tissue swelling has gone down some in her hock but the joint itself is still swollen and it is a bit warm. I still believe the heat and pain are inflammation rather than infection but to be safe I have started her on some transfer factors to support her immune system. she still has the discharge from her nose and a moist cough so her immune system is being taxed.

On the other hand, Maya is eating everything in site and gaining weight. Her manure is normal. I gave her another 5 day course of Puls 1m because it fits her personality and the nasal discharge. Puls is also a good remedy to think about for injuries. maya is not so sensitive about having her hock touched so arnica does not fit as well. Her overall attitude is excellent and she is bored and wants to go out and play.

Maya is now becoming what classical homeopaths call a one sided case. this means she is not giving any characteristic symptoms to prescribe on. the swelling and heat in her hock is what would be expected for the serious injury she had. the nasal discharge is also typical of a young horse who has been to a vet hospital and exposed to new antigens. I am going to stop the Puls and give her more E12 enzymes. I feel at this point her body is doing all it can and giving another or higher potency remedy would only confuse the case. If she gives me any new symptoms then I will prescribe on them. For now I think she needs time and good nutrition. Madalyn
mward

Postby mward » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:50 pm

Maya continues to improve. Her upper respiratory infection has cleared and she is getting up and down on her own. She continues to gain weight and become more energetic.
Her hock is still quite sore and swollen. She holds it up for the first few steps when she first gets up but then walks on it quite well. all the swelling is down in the tissue but she still has alot of fluid on the joint itself. I have had a support wrap on the lower leg and today I decided to put a furacin sweat on the hock to see if some of the fluid would go down. she was very good when I put the bandage on and did not seem sore to the touch at all.
Maya has not had any remedies since the course of Pulsatilla 1m. I feel it is still acting. She had a 7 day course of Transfer Factors and is now only getting horse matrix and succeed with the senior and barley. she gets free choice coastal and 1 flake of alfalfa daily. If she continues to do well over the weekend I will let her go on home. Madalyn
mward

Next

Return to Injuries and Acute Conditions