dentigerous cyst

How often does your horse need his teeth floated? Ask questions and find answers here.

dentigerous cyst

Postby swest » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm looking for any information on holistic, nonsurgical treatment of a dentigerous cyst in a horse. We are considering adopting a rescue pony that is 2 years old and has a dentigerous cyst above his right eye that drains just below his right ear. His current owner says that one vet told her it could be treated surgically but it is a pretty delicate area above the eye with lots of nerves, etc. Another vet said it was OK to just not worry about it. I worry about it because it is an open channel from the ear area to inside the bone by the eye--seems like a possible site for infection to set in....or other problems to enter the body. Seems like there might be a good homeopathic or other holistic solution to help the body resolve the issue itself. Anyone have any experience/ input???
Thanks,
Sue West
swest

Postby dgibson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:32 am

Homeopathy and nutrition definately wouldn't hurt and I'm sure that Madalyn will give some sound advice on that.

Having said that....I would LOVE to see a picture of this though as I've never heard of it.

Deb
"Do no harm. Respect the healing power of nature"...Jaime Jackson
dgibson

Postby mward » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:18 am

Sue,
I would agree with your vet about having the cyst removed. The tooth inside will continue to act as a source for infection just like any a piece of wood or other foreign object. Once the tooth is removed the abscess should stop draining and heal right away. You would support your pony with good nutrition and homeopathy to help with the healing. Arnica would be good right after surgery and then see how the healing progresses. I like simplexity essentials to support healing after injury and then the APA blend would be fine for general nutritional support.
I agree with Deb about pictures if possible. Madalyn
mward

Return to Dentistry