Heiro Supplement for IR Horses

Discuss laminitis and founder related issues here. If you need help posting please email moderator@holistichorsekeeping.com.

Heiro Supplement for IR Horses

Postby raintree » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:03 am

A friend is using a supplement 'Heiro' for her IR Mare and she swears by it. Have you ever heard of it? I found it online and the ingredients are:1) USDA Certified Organic Herbs:
Proprietary herbal blend exclusive to Heiro containing USDA certified 100% organic herbs: Fenugreek, ocean kelp, blue-green spirulina algae, cinnamon, ginger, willow, peppermint, milk thistle, alfalfa. No fillers, no artificial colors or preservatives. All natural, great tasting blend.
2) Vitamin E Concentrate 128,190 IU/Ib
3) Magnesium Oxide Mineral 6,360ppm

My mare has done pretty well for a year now with no lameness although we are still growing out one hoof where the hoof wall separated and she has been on front shoes with a pad on the wall separation. I don't think the wall separation was actually from an episode of laminitis, but rather an over-reaction by vet and farrier and a farrier that put such an extreme angle and long toe on her, the wall couldn't do anything but separate. I finally trusted knowing my horse and stopped seeing the farrier, switched to someone who is reasonable and we are working her back nicely. She still has the cresty neck and some fat deposits over the tail area, but not as bad and has slimmed down some more. Her weight is 1026 and not quite 15.2. I haven't had her glucose checked in quite some time. She is on Wellsolve LS for feed (1.5 lbs/day) with pack of Essentials, CQ10 tablet, immusun tablet, and scoop of chia seeds. She lost some more weight when we started the chia seeds. I was just wondering if this sort of supplement might be helpful to keep things in check, - or just keep going like we are.
raintree

Re: Heiro Supplement for IR Horses

Postby mward » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:20 am

Raintree,
I like the Heiro supplement as an adjunct for a low sugar diet. I had one client using it with no results but once we got the diet in line it did seem to help the horse lose weight. I have been using algae as a mineral source for IR horses for years but only after I understood the need for low sugar overall diet did I see these cases respond consistently. Magnesium is also important for many IR horses but it will not work alone without looking at the overall diet. My cushings, laminitis, IR ebook helps to explain the many details about understanding these complicated conditions. Unfortunately, there is no one supplement or easy answer. Madalyn
mward

Postby raintree » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:06 am

I have been considering changing her feed. I think she has done okay, but have been looking at alternatives. One reason is I have also been looking to change my senior horse onto something else. He is currently on Equine Sr. I started reading about Running Horse feed and looking into their feeds and the process they have for production and talked with a couple of people who use it and absolutely swear by it. They have a Senior product. Their feeds have no sugar, high in protein and fat and highly digestible. Have you heard anything about this brand or feeds?
raintree

Postby mward » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:49 pm

I am not familiar with the feed you are considering. Madalyn
mward

Return to Laminitis